Re: Bitkeeper licence issues

From: Theodore Tso (tytso@mit.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 19:19:27 EST

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 03:47:27PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I think that there is lots to be said about moving out of silicon valley,
> I personally don't like it here that all much. On the other hand,
> it is extremely cool that there is such a high concentration of smart
> people within 30 minutes of my house. What I'd like to see is a migration
> out of silly valley but to somewhere else. I.e., pockets of smart people
> working together. Face time with smart people is fun, if you get a chance
> to do it, you know what I mean.

There's a reason why I live in Boston. My house is 20 minutes from
downtown Boston, and 15 minutes from MIT/Harvard Sqare/Cambridge, and
three years ago, my 3 bedroom, 1.5 bedroom house with a large country
kitchen sitting on a sixth of an acre of land cost me $168,000 dollars
(I pay ~$700/month mortgage).

(I love to really piss off Silly Valley types by pointing this out. :-)

Best of all, I don't have to live out in the middle of nowhere (the
Boston Symphony, lots of amateur/semi-professional/professional
theater productions, etc.), and there are lots of smart people to
socialize with.

                                                - Ted