vesafb not working in later 2.4.x kernels?

From: Change Ling (change@wesecurethe.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 13:04:59 EST

I have been trying to build the vesafb under the 2.4.18 kernel for use in my
work on the biatchux bootable cdrom distribution, but the frame buffer never
seems to initialize at boot with the vga=791 kernel argument.

It is as though the Video select option isn't handling the kernel arg, since
vga=ask doesn't present my with a selection menu either.

Has vesafb or Video_select support somehow been dropped in the latest stable
kernel???

I have built the kernel on multiple machines with the following .config, and
have resorted to downgrading my kernel by systematically decrementing versions,
I've gone back as far as 2.4.14 so far, with no luck in initializing the vesafb.

I have the vesafb working under 2.4.5, but really would like to avoid going
that far back.

Following is the FB specific portion of my .config

# Console drivers
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# Frame-buffer support