quick Scheduler design question

From: Joseph Pingenot (jap3003@ksu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 15:43:16 EST

Howdy.

I haven't poked at it much, but some of you might have a free minute to
  answer a fairly simple scheduler question.

Does the scheduler merely select what process is going to run next, and
  then pause the current process and run the new one? If so, would it be
  beneficial to instead have the scheduler
    a) run the task currently specified as being second-to-next
    b) select the task which will be run second-to-next and, if necessary,
         start to get whatever needs to be un-swapped [maybe make the
         processes state TASK_NEXTUP or something, and have its pages
         slowly swap in on timer or something]

It seems to me that, if it's not already being done, this would increase
  complexity only a *little*, while making it *seem* faster, since the
  next process would be swapping in while the current process uses up its
  time. Naturally, this would cause problems if both processes can't fully
  swap in together.

Ah well. Was just a thought on an idle afternoon that I thought those
  with more knowledge might like to kick around. Mabye the lesson is
  that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. ;)

-Joseph

--
"But a cat that is functionally a dog may have some utility; we make no