Re: Kernel 2.4.17 with VT8367 [KT266] crashes on heavy ide load togeter

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (hmh@debian.org)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 14:34:09 EST

On Mon, 01 Apr 2002, Mark Cooke wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, David Härdeman wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:33:04 +0200
> > From: David Härdeman <david@2gen.com>
> > To: Mark Cooke <mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk>
> > Cc: LinuxKernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
> > Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.17 with VT8367 [KT266] crashes on heavy ide load
> > togeter
> >
> > Mark Cooke wrote:
> > > If I run a simultaneous one on hdc and hde, the combined rate tops
> > > out at 50MB again. Hence, the limitation isn't the raid card. Or at
> > > least I'd be exceedingly surprised.
> >
> > The bugs that exist in VIA chipsets and Barracuda drives have already
> > exceedingly surprised me many, many times :-)

Yes. For the VIA side, I have this in my rc.S stuff:

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
export PATH

echo -n "Optimizing hardware configuration: "

if command -v setpci >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    echo -n "PCI"
    #
    # Optimize PCI latency for IDE controllers
    #
    setpci -d 1106:0571 latency_timer=60 >/dev/null 2>&1
    setpci -d 105a:* latency_timer=60 >/dev/null 2>&1
    echo "."
else
    echo '(lspci/setpci not available!)'
fi

Normal latency set by the BIOS is 32, which is too damn small for IDE.

You may have to tweak the PCI ids a bit. You want all storage controllers
(both chipset, Promise and any extra cards). The IDs up there are for my VIA
kt133, and Promise PDC20265.

Oh, some of the PCI 'optimizations' in BIOS must be enabled for that to
actually help a bit. Stuff like the PCI caches.

VIA PCI is utter crap. I am not buying anything of theirs ever again :(

  Henrique Holschuh