Re: Unknown HZ value! (1908) Assume 1024.

From: Tim Schmielau (tim@physik3.uni-rostock.de)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 07:08:30 EST

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Tim Schmielau writes:
>
> > I'd still prefer to export only 32 bit of user, nice, and system. This
> > way they overflow in a clearly defined way - the 32 bits we export are
> > exact, only the higher bits are missing.
>
> The higher bits are absolutely required.
At least on Alpha (with HZ=1024) I definitely agree. At HZ=100 I'm a bit
uncertain. What I don't want is exporting higher bits that sometimes wrap
and sometimes not.

> There are ways to push the work of doing a 64-bit counter out into the
> proc filesystem and a timer that goes off every 31 bits worth of time.
> I've posted an explanation before; you may search for it if you like.

Like I did for idle time in the >497 days uptime patch? Then I'll include
a chunk for user, nice, and system time in the next version and we can see
if Linus takes it.

Tim