Re: Linux 2.4.19-pre5

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 14:50:20 EST

Hi Marcelo,

Configure.help contains the help text below that sounds more like a
comment to a patch than a helpful help message for a user of a stable
kernel:

+CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
+ This is the "Jewel" of the patch. It will go away and become the new
+ driver core. Since all the chipsets/host side hardware deal w/ their
+ exceptions in "their local code" currently, adoption of a
+ standardized data-transport is the only logical solution.
+ Additionally we packetize the requests and gain rapid performance and
+ a reduction in system latency. Additionally by using a memory struct
+ for the commands we can redirect to a MMIO host hardware in the next
+ generation of controllers, specifically second generation Ultra133
+ and Serial ATA.
+
+ Since this is a major transition, it was deemed necessary to make the
+ driver paths buildable in separtate models. Therefore if using this
+ option fails for your arch then we need to address the needs for that
+ arch.
+
+ If you want to test this functionality, say Y here.

Could anyone provide a more useful help text?

TIA
Adrian