Re: Problems rebooting from linux to windows...

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 08:39:54 EST

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Arnvid Karstad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently I've seen a few problems with several laptops and if one are so
> unfortunate that one needs to reboot into Windows after a session in linux.
> Normal restart of windows never have a problem on the same machines, but if
> you go from Linux to for instance Windows by shutdown -r or reboot it will
> freeze half way into the booting process.
>
> A power cycle will hower fix this.
>
> Anyone got an idea about where to start looking?
>
> Best regards
>
> Arnvid Karstad

I have this same problem on my Compaq Presario. I think that this
is because the BIOS was shadowed and used some writable-RAM somewhere.
Linux seems to do a 'warm-boot'. The result being that some of the
stuff that the BIOS counts on was wiped out by Linux, i.e.,
stuff from E000:0000 -> E000:FFFF (the BIOS is normally at F000:0000).

My 'fix' is to cold-boot, i.e., processor reset during the shutdown.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

                 Windows-2000/Professional isn't.