ide_setup causes boot time hang

From: Paul Gortmaker (p_gortmaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 09:48:10 EST

Using any ide related bootprompt causes the dreaded

        Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. *[HANG]*

with a *non-PCI* based kernel. I traced it down to the early call to
ide_init_default_hwifs that a bootprompt causes to happen, but I sort
of lost interest once I tracked it down to the IDE code :) Happens
with 2.5.8pre2, 2.5.7 and possibly earlier kernels as well.

Paul.