Re: [WTF] ->setattr() locking changes

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 12:17:48 EST

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Looking at that stuff, I'd suggest to
> a) kill that branch in hpfs_unlink().
> b) remove fh_lock()/fh_unlock() in nfsd/vfs.c::nfsd_setattr() (Trond?)
> c) add ATTR_SXID that would do s[ug]id removal - under ->i_sem and switch
> the callers to it.
>
> Comments? If you don't see any problems with this variant I'll do it.

OTOH, we might be better off taking ->i_sem in all callers of notify_change().
There's only 10 of them, so it's not too much work and that would have a
benefit of allowing to do things like suid removal on write(2) in a right way.

Hmm... While we are at it, why don't we remove suid/sgid on truncate(2)?