Re: Linux 2.4.19-pre6

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 18:16:33 EST

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 12:30, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > <viro@math.psu.edu> (02/04/01 1.322)
> > turns (mount_sem,vfsmntlist,root_vfsmnt) into per-process object
> >
> > <viro@math.psu.edu> (02/04/01 1.323)
> > makes /proc/mounts a symlink to /proc/<pid>/mounts.
>
> I don't see how this could be considered bugfix. Seems like new feature to
> me, and dangerous one, too.

It isn't a bugfix, it is a new feature - and I am generally against new
things in 2.4 like this but it is a pretty sane one. Further it has
seen testing in 2.5 and is without a doubt stable.

The new semantics are such that applications inherit from their parent
their namespace, so if user code is not changed everything is the same
to applications.

Oh, and Al knows what he is doing.

        Robert Love