Reworked CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO help text

From: Thomas Zimmerman (thomas@zimres.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 21:42:32 EST

On 04-Apr 09:50, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Hi Marcelo,
>
> Configure.help contains the help text below that sounds more like a
> comment to a patch than a helpful help message for a user of a stable
> kernel:
>
> +CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
> + This is the "Jewel" of the patch. It will go away and become the new
> + driver core. Since all the chipsets/host side hardware deal w/ their
> + exceptions in "their local code" currently, adoption of a
> + standardized data-transport is the only logical solution.
> + Additionally we packetize the requests and gain rapid performance and
> + a reduction in system latency. Additionally by using a memory struct
> + for the commands we can redirect to a MMIO host hardware in the next
> + generation of controllers, specifically second generation Ultra133
> + and Serial ATA.
> +
> + Since this is a major transition, it was deemed necessary to make the
> + driver paths buildable in separtate models. Therefore if using this
> + option fails for your arch then we need to address the needs for that
> + arch.
> +
> + If you want to test this functionality, say Y here.
>
> Could anyone provide a more useful help text?

Maybe this is better?

CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
  This option enables a new standardized data-transport driver. It replaces
  code currently in each chipset/host driver. This should help reduce
  bugs and allow better data protection. This new code also packetizes
  requests to enable rapid performance and reduce system latency. It also uses
  structures so MMIO hardware can be used in second generation Ultra133 and
  Serial ATA chipsets.

  Since this a a major reworking of current code, this will live along side
  current drivers for now. If this doesn't work on your arch yell.

  If you want to test this new driver (and have backups), say Y here.