Re: PROMBLEM: CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU, although DMA is enabled

From: Anssi Saari (as@sci.fi)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 03:32:43 EST

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 05:45:29PM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:

> The question is, how is CD burning of raw data different from
> CD burning of ISO images, in respect to Linux drivers for the
> hardware

As far as I know, when burning an ISO image, the image has 2048 byte
sectors to which the CD writer adds error correction data so that the
individual sector becomes 2352 bytes. A raw data image includes 2352 byte
sectors. The obvious difference would be a higher data rate (2352/2048
or 1.15x more) from computer to writer.