Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: Aviv Shavit (avivshavit@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 15:45:45 EST

late as usual ....

thanks Ken.

Just got to testng rmap-12f on 2.4.17. While I was
able to throw at it more sessions then at the vannila
kernel, it crashed with a kernel panic. Something that
has not happend for main-line .17 nor for .18.

I use the term sessions since the bandwidth I throw at
the machine is more or less a constant flooded
fastether link at 80Mb/s. The more the sessions - the
more the memory used and more files accessed.

18aa works great ! I love seeing how the cached memory
actually is reduced as the number of sessions grow. ;)

I've been trying to isolate what it is in aa that
helps me so. Tried the _vm_ batch - but they didn't
seem to score.

Perhaps this info helps someone.

Thanks again.

regularly(http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0201.0/0740.html)
> [...]
> | problems. Rmap actually obviates three other
> patches I typically apply.
> | But be aware that rmap is still a bit of a work in
> progress, at least in
> | terms of tuning.
> |
> | Cheers,
> | --
> | Ken.
> | brownfld@irridia.com
> |

> | | I also saw references to 'rmap' on the 2.4.18
> | | changelog. Is that related ?
> | |
> | | pls. cc' me on your posts back.
> | |
> | | Thanks
> | | Aviv
> | |
> | | "And all this science I don't understand,
> | | It's just my job five days a week"
> | | Rocket Man, E.J.
> |

> | --- linux.virgin/mm/vmscan.c Mon Dec 31 12:46:25
> 2001
> | +++ linux/mm/vmscan.c Fri Jan 11 18:03:05 2002
> | @@ -394,9 +394,9 @@
> | if (PageDirty(page) &&
> is_page_cache_freeable(page) && page->mapping) {
> | /*
> | * It is not critical here to write it only if
> | - * the page is unmapped beause any direct
> writer
> | + * the page is unmapped because any direct
> writer
> | * like O_DIRECT would set the PG_dirty
> bitflag
> | - * on the phisical page after having
> successfully
> | + * on the physical page after having
> successfully
> | * pinned it and after the I/O to the page is
> finished,
> | * so the direct writes to the page cannot get
> lost.
> | */
> | @@ -480,11 +480,14 @@
> |
> | /*
> | * Alert! We've found too many mapped pages on
> the
> | - * inactive list, so we start swapping out
> now!
> | + * inactive list.
> | + * Move referenced pages to the active list.
> | */
> | - spin_unlock(&pagemap_lru_lock);
> | - swap_out(priority, gfp_mask, classzone);
> | - return nr_pages;
> | + if (PageReferenced(page) && !PageLocked(page))
> {
> | + del_page_from_inactive_list(page);
> | + add_page_to_active_list(page);
> | + }
> | + continue;
> | }
> |
> | /*
> | @@ -521,6 +524,9 @@
> | }
> | spin_unlock(&pagemap_lru_lock);
> |
> | + if (max_mapped <= 0 && (nr_pages > 0 || priority
> < DEF_PRIORITY))
> | + swap_out(priority, gfp_mask, classzone);
> | +
> | return nr_pages;
> | }
> |
> | -
> | To unsubscribe from this list: send the line

=== message truncated ===