Re: The latest -ac patch to the stable Linux kernels

From: Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 20:05:29 EST

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:47:47PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> all the -ac kernels need to be treated as -pre

Exactly.

> if you watch in detail you can pick ones that are more likly to be stable
> then others, but some of them will be intentionally cutting edge.

Alan does have a track record of stable kernels, but his tree does have
quite a lot of experimental patches in it. He does warn about patches that
could be quite bad though (think ide and the recent suspend patches).

In fact, I'm using some -ac kernels in production after it has survived on
my workstation for a while and there haven't been any bug reports for the
stuff I use...

Also, 2.4.18 is the first time that I've seen Alan have -ac patches directly
against 2.4.xx instead of 2.4.xx-pre. Unless he says otherwise I wouldn't
expect that to happen again.

Mike