Re: The latest -ac patch to the stable Linux kernels

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 01:16:45 EST

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, David Ford wrote:

> Well, shortly put, the -ac tree is much more -pre than the -pre patches
> are. Using -ac patches is jumping ahead of the -pre patches normally.

  At one point Alan posted "I actually run my kernels" and I think that's
important. In some cases they contain perfectly stable features which are
not in the mainline for... I don't want to say "political reasons," but
reasons of policy rather than technical issues. I have run production on
rmap and O(1) for a while, but they seem destined to stay in 2.5 near
term.

  The -ac has the new ServerRAID driver from IBM. Since I have systems
using the hardware which are timezones away, anything which tends to
stability is good in my use. New firmware means new drivers (often) and
the IBM update CD has a binary module only. I'll try the pre5-ac3 instead.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc