Re: Tyan S2462 reboot problems

From: Martin Knoblauch (Martin.Knoblauch@TeraPort.de)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 09:32:05 EST

> Re: Tyan S2462 reboot problems
>
> From: John Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
> Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 15:20:17 EST
>

> > No, I doubt this has anything to do with Linux. I have a S2460 (which his
> > corrected post says he has), which does not power down under linux, and

 No correction from me :-) For me it is still s2462 (aka Thuder K7).

> > *never* warm boots cleanly. It does power down under windows, so I assume
> > ACPI powerdown works and APM does not. I have gone under the assumption that
> > a BIOS upgrade will fix this, but that involves putting a floppy into the box,
> > so I haven't done it yet. The warm boot problems consist of either a hang
> > after POST (but before bootloader, OS irrelevent), or really bad video

 That sounds like it.

> > corruption. I don't know if it boot with the video corruption, I've never let
> > it try.
>
> I did update to the new BIOS for the 246x (I can never keep them straight
> either), and that did help some with the halt and reboot problems I was
> having.

John,

 do you recall from which to which version of the BIOS your upgrade
went? The upgrade procedure for the s2462 implies a W98 boot floppy
(never ever seen one of those :-) and it also strongly reccommends
flashing the CMOS memory. As this involves playing with jumpers on the
MB and I have 9 of them screwed into a rack, I hesitate to go that
path.... As I wrote the MBs are at 2.09 and the newest version from Tyan
is 2.10, with a not very interesting list of fixes/enhancements.

Martin