Re: [patch-2.5.8-pre] swapinfo accounting

From: rddunlap@osdl.org
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 22:52:37 EST

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

| "Randy.Dunlap" wrote:
| >
| > It looks to me like mm/swapfile.c::si_swapinfo()
| > shouldn't be adding nr_to_be_unused to total_swap_pages
| > or nr_swap_pages for return in val->freeswap and
| > val->totalswap.
|
| whee, an si_swapinfo() maintainer.

whoops. I can't argue for its efficiency, can I?

| Your function sucks :) I'm spending 15 CPU-seconds
| in there during a kernel build. The problem appears
| to be that a fix from 2.4 hasn't been propagated
| forward.

Bah!! :( Where is a version-forwarder for this stuff? 8;)
and will it be dropped...

Your latter 2 sentences aren't related -- right?
On the 15 CPU-seconds in si_swapfile(): yes, I think
there is room for some improvement there.

| 2.4 has:
|
| if (swap_info[i].flags != SWP_USED)
|
| and 2.5 has:
|
| if (!(swap_info[i].flags & SWP_USED))
|
| and I think the 2.4 version will fix the accounting
| problem you're seeing?

OK, I'll try it Thurs.

| (I haven't checked whather it's the _right_ fix, but
| it looks like it'll make it go away?)

We'll see about that.

Thanks-

--