Re: put_user_byte()

From: Brian Gerst (bgerst@didntduck.org)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 06:01:25 EST

blesson paul wrote:
> Hi all
> I need to copy some data from kernel memory space to user
> memory space. When I investigated, the command for that purpose is
> put_user_byte(). But in kernel2.4, I can't find the implementation of
> this command. I want to know the command which replaced put_user_byte()
> in 2.4 kernel. Also I want to know whether there is any synonyms for
> verify_area() in kernel 2.4
> regards
> Blesson Paul

Use put_user(val, uaddr). val must be of type unsigned char (or casted
to it). It will return 0 on success or -EFAULT on fault. verify_area()
is normally not needed in 2.4, unless you are copying many values to
user space and only want to do the priviledge check once on the whole range.

--

Brian Gerst