RE: Tyan S2462 reboot problems

From: Jordan Breeding (jordan.breeding@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:40:54 EST

I have a Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462UNG). I run with the onboard video
jumpered to off and a ATI Radeon 7500 AGP in the AGP slot. Windows and
FreeBSD install, run, reboot, and shutdown just fine. Linux will
install and run fine, but then when it reboots the screen hangs (no new
output -- the last words on the screen are "Rebooting now." or something
similar) and then the hd activity light on my case comes on solid for
the ECC test of the RAM even though the screen has still not been
cleared, then as the post messages come up they are very jumbled,
complete video corruption and the corruption does not go away until
either Windows or XFree86 loads completely (which ever is currently my
default OS). This problem occurs with the RedHat 7.2 (the one on the
disc) kernel, the RedHat 7.2.93 kernel, and the gentoo 1.0 kernel. I
have not tried any others yet. I run with either no frame buffer at all
or if I use one I use the in kernel radeonfb driver, either way the
corruption happens. I wouldn't have though twice about Windows being
successful at this since it often has odd fixed for odd problems, but
the thing that really got me wondering about this is that FreeBSD seems
to not have any issues rebooting/halting this machine. Thanks for any
information you all might have about what is going on.

Jordan