Re: tulip and VLAN tagging - accepting larger frames without affecting higher layers?

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 13:04:55 EST

Marc Haber wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 07:23:27PM +0400, Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:
>
>>It contains (following) (rediffed) working tulip mtu patch :)
>>

> That patch solved my problem.
>
> With that driver, the MTU still shows as 1500 bytes, while I thought
> that patch would cause the MTU to go up to 1504 bytes.

The ethX MTU should remain 1500 to not break non-vlan traffic. Secretly,
though, the NIC should pass frames that are 4 bytes bigger.

> Will this patch be in the mainstream kernel soon? Or could it have
> negative effects?

I wonder if we could somehow make the changes a module option even
if Jeff won't allow it in by default....

Most other drivers have the same issues....

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>