Re: 2.4.18 AND Geode GX1/200Mhz problem

From: Christer Weinigel (wingel@acolyte.hack.org)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 15:45:04 EST

Ricky Beam <jfbeam@bluetronic.net> wrote:
> On a side note, has anyone seen dd scrolling behavior with video chipse
> using shared memory? On the geode board I'm playing with, the screen
> never scrolls correctly. It's probablly something stupid in the 5530's
> setup that's at fault. (I have ever intention of turning the VGA port
> off entirely.)

The VSA CGA/EGA/VGA text emulation seems to be rather awful and has
lots of bugs. Compile in the VESA framebuffer support in your Linux
kernel and add vga=785 (see linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt) to
your kernel command line. It's a choice of:

    Linux kernel frobs the text console -> buggy VSA emulation -> framebuffer

or

    Linux kernel frobs the framebuffer directly

Guess which works better? *grin*

  /Christer