Re: please merge 64-bit jiffy patches.

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 09:57:59 EST

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, bert hubert wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:33:34AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> > Other than a few things reporting wrong numbers, what costs do you
> > anticipate? I have servers in six USA states (four timezones) and I
> > haven't seen any real ill-effect on this.
>
> I have been advised by Alan to treat the jiffy wraparound as a scheduled
> maintenance event. I tend to trust bearded kernel hackers from Wales.

  Alan has to be conservative, since he want to avoid giving potentially
damaging advice to someone. However, since you can take a reboot at your
convenience and schedule a year in advance, I still don't see the great
cost. If you have an app which must be up 7x24 and don't have seamless
backup you have other problems more serious than timer wrap.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc