1 Terabyte+ Disk Support?

From: bob dobalina (mrdobalina@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 17:39:51 EST

Hello,

I am looking for someone who has experience using 1TB+ Disks with the Linux
2.2.14-5 Kernel that comes standard with Redhat Linux 6.2. I am trying to
determine the best way to patch a pile of Redhat 6.2 (zoot)systems to
recognize 1Terabyte and larger disks. I am trying to directly attach
1.5Terabyte (external) RAID arrays to these Redhat 6.2 systems via Ultra160
SCSI adapters.

The RAID devices are external rackmount enclosures with their own hardware
IDE->Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller. They use 160 Gigabyte IDE drives
internally in a RAID5 configuration w/ no hot spare. The units striped in
this configuration present the host they are directly attached to with about
1.5 Terabytes of storage as (1) Logical
disk. Neither Redhat 6.2 or 7.2 will see properly recognize this large of a
disk. The dmesg see's the RAID on the SCSI chain, assigns it 'sdb' but
claims it has a negative number of sectors, and im unable to fdisk the
device.

The cut-off point for large disks in Redhat 6.2 and 7.2 appears to be around
900 Gigabytes, I can get both Redhat 6.2 and 7.2 to see up to around 900
gigs as 1 disk. I've heard about a 64-bit IO patch for an older 2.x.x 'pre8'
release kernel but would like to know if theres a way to get this
accomplished with Redhat 6.2/Kernel 2.2.14-5. Any insight into this problem
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Bobd