Re: Versioning File Systems?

From: Jeremy Jackson (jerj@coplanar.net)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 13:11:42 EST

For the RPM case, where the RPM db can be out of sync
with the filesystem if the rpm command is interrupted
(not to mention db corruption), simply use LVM or EVMS
snapshot of fs before doing anything. Haven't tried yet, but
working towards this:

eg:

init 1 ; go to single user mode
; initiate snapshot of /, /usr, /var etc - everything rpm touches
rpm -Fvh * ;
; oops power cable came out in middle
; restore snapshot to be live version (how?)
init 3 ; go back about your business, nothing to see here.

Jeremy