Re: Bio pool & scsi scatter gather pool usage

From: Joe Thornber (joe@fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 03:08:14 EST

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 02:29:25AM -0500, Stephen Lord wrote:
> But this gets you lowest common denominator sizes for the whole
> volume, which is basically the buffer head approach, chop all I/O up
> into a chunk size we know will always work. Any sort of nasty boundary
> condition at one spot in a volume means the whole thing is crippled
> down to that level. It then becomes a black magic art to configure a
> volume which is not restricted to a small request size.

This is exactly the problem; I don't think it's going to be unusual to
see volumes that have a variety of mappings. For example the
'journal' area of the lv with a single fast pv, 'small file' area with
a linear mapping across normal pv's, and finally a 'large file' area
that has a few slower disks striped together.

The last thing I want in this situation is to split up all the io into
the lowest common chunk size, in this case the striped area which will
typically be < 64k.

LVM and EVMS need to do the splitting and resubmitting of bios
themselves.

- Joe