Re: BK, deltas, snapshots and fate of -pre...

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 12:39:23 EST

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 01:32:25PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:23:39AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > IOW, I propose to create a "linuspush" script that replaces his current
> > > "bk push" command. Linus pushes batches of csets out at a time,
> > > make these cset batches the pre-patches...
> >
> > This is easily doable as a trigger. I'm pretty sure that all you want
> > is
>
> Not quite -- pre-patches are a one-big-patch, diffed against the most
> recently released kernel.

That's easier yet.

        bk diffs -Cv2.5.8

> One quality of all traditional Linus pre-patches and patches is that
> if you have N csets modifying a single file, you see N gnu-style diff
> modifications, instead of the single one you would get when generating
> the patch via GNU diff.

Did you get that backwards? Do you want to see N diffs on a single
file or do you want one? We can do either, diffs -C does one.

Also, we're planning on making a "push stack", which remembers the set of
csets pushed each time, so you can do

        bk undo # remove the last push effects
        bk undo # remove the last push effects
        ..
        bk undo # remove the clone effects and destroy the repository

You could use that to generate these patches you want.

--
---