Re: Kernel 2.5.8 compilation fail...

From: Dipankar Sarma (dipankar@in.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 08:56:27 EST

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 01:34:58PM +0000, bonganilinux@mweb.co.za wrote:
> > You can use the attached (text/plain) patch to fix this.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Why will moving init smp_init help? Because as far as I can see
> setup_per_cpu_areas() is called by start_kernel. But it
> is only defined for SMP so this should do it:

The idea is not just to move smp_init(), but to move
#ifdef __GENERIC_PER_CPU portion to outside #else of
#ifndef CONFIG_SMP.

__GENERIC_PER_CPU will not be defined for UP and hence
setup_per_cpu_areas() wil be an empty function in UP case.
Rusty suggested this and I have been using it.

Thanks

--
Dipankar Sarma  <dipankar@in.ibm.com> http://lse.sourceforge.net
Linux Technology Center, IBM Software Lab, Bangalore, India.