Re: BK, deltas, snapshots and fate of -pre...

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 13:16:28 EST

On Monday 22 April 2002 20:01, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> At 18:17 21/04/02, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> >The other example specifically mentioned was the CVS documentation for jfs,
> >and yes, I think that moving those instructions to the web site in question
> >would make a lot of sense, leaving a URL wherever the docs once were. By
> >definition, the CVS instructions will be available on that site as long as
> >they are useful, and not a moment longer.
>
> Personally I find it _extremely_ annoying having to go and lookup web sites
> which the kernel points me to instead of just having the docs in the kernel
> in the first place.

But they are instructions for CVS, you're just about to go to some effort to
download over the web. Bogus.

> I would much rather see a disclaimer put in Jeff's document stating that
> "you don't need to use it, gnu patches are just fine with everyone, etc" as
> others have already suggested.

Well, maybe it's really the best thing, or perhaps it's the best I can hope
for if I want to stop getting beaten up by the BitKeeper mafia.

> If such disclaimer doesn't appease the anti-bitkeeper crew

Please don't assign me membership in any anti-bitkeeper crew. I am not
anti-BitKeeper. If you must have an epithet, try "anti-advertising-in-the-tree"
crew.

> then moving the
> document out won't either, so moving it out would be a waste of time in
> addition to penalizing people who want to use bitkeeper, which is unfair
> and incorrect.

Changing the documents for a url penalizes you exactly how?

--
Daniel