Re: BK, deltas, snapshots and fate of -pre...

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cantab.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 15:57:33 EST

At 21:42 21/04/02, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>On Monday 22 April 2002 22:18, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > > Excellent point. If the BitKeeper advertising in the kernel source were
> > > held to that level, I would be satisfied.
> >
> > <chuckle> -- and if that occurred, _I_ would fight to remove it as a
> > pointless advertisement.
>
>You'd want to get rid of the url that points at your docs?

I think you misunderstood Jeff. I would also not be happy if I suddenly saw
a bitkeeper advertisement during kernel bootup, which is what is quoted above.

It is not a piece of the kernel so it shouldn't be advertised as such. It
is a tool that is used in combination with the kernel and the docs for such
tool are rightfully in the kernel. docs != advertising. How many people
will read the docs? Not many. And certainly not many who would be
purchasing bitkeeper. How many people will see the above show copyright
messages on boot? A LOT. Anyone booting Linux in fact...

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown