Re: Adding snapshot capability to Linux

From: rpm (rajendra.mishra@timesys.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 00:36:05 EST

On Monday 22 April 2002 05:36 pm, Peter Wächtler wrote:
> Libor Vanìk wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm going to start my dissertation work which is "Adding snapshop
> > capability to Linux kernel with copy-on-write support". My idea is add
> > it as another VFS - I know that there is some snapshot support in LVM
> > but it's working on "device-level" and I'd like/have to do it on fs
> > level.

Instead of changing VFS you can probably make a generic stackable FS module
.....that can stack on top of the physical filesystems and happily take
snapshots at "FS" level :) ! and you can use the FIST to create a basic
stackable FS and then modify it to take care of snapshoting ! ( the good part
is it can work on scores of other OSs like solaris , freeBSD etc )
i created one for ext2 but then it was not genric enough to work for other FS
!

cheers,
rpm