Re: BUG: 2 NICs on same network

From: Chris Friesen (cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 08:10:58 EST

Frank Louwers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We recently stummed across a rather annoying bug when 2 nics are on
> the same network.
>
> Our situation is this: we have a server with 2 nics, each with a
> different IP on the same network, connected to the same switch. Let's
> assume eth0 has ip 1.2.3.1 and eth1 has 1.2.3.2, with a both with a
> netmask of 255.255.255.0.
>
> Now the strange thing is that traffic for 1.2.3.2 arrives at eth0 no
> matter what!

This is actually standards compliant behaviour, as silly as it sounds. However,
if you want stricter arp behaviour I *think* that the following will fix it. At
least it used to...

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter

If this is no longer correct I'd love to hear it.

Chris

Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email: cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com