Re: [NFS] NFS clients behind a masqueraded gateway

From: Steffen Persvold (sp@scali.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 12:24:52 EST

Hi again,

I hate to bother you guys again with this problem, but do you have any
ideas (haven't received any response so far) ?

Answers highly appreciated.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing some problems with a cluster setup. The cluster is set up
> in a way that you have a frontend machine configured as a masquerading
> gateway and all the compute nodes behind it on a private network (i.e the
> frontend has two network interfaces). User home directories and also other
> data directories which should be available to the cluster (i.e statically
> mounted in the same location on both frontend and nodes) are located on
> external NFS servers (IRIX and Linux servers). This seems to work fine
> when the cluster is in use, but if the cluster is idle for some time (e.g
> over night), the NFS directories has become unavailable and trying to
> reboot the frontend results in a complete hang when it tries to unmount
> the NFS directories (it hangs in a fuser command). The frontend and all
> the nodes are running RedHat 7.2, but with a stock 2.4.18 kernel (plus
> Trond's seekdir patch, thanks for the help BTW).
>
> Ideas anyone ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Regards,

--
  Steffen Persvold   | Scalable Linux Systems |   Try out the world's best
 mailto:sp@scali.com |  http://www.scali.com  | performing MPI implementation: