Re: A CD with errors (scratches etc.) blocks the whole system while reading damadged files

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@codepoet.org)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 00:42:41 EST

On Thu Apr 25, 2002 at 09:04:57PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> 1)
> Two drives each on a seperate cable, but on the same chipset:
> /dev/hda (hard drive) (chipset1)
> /dev/hdc (cd-rom) (chipset1)
>
> Put broken CD into /dev/hdc, and read somehow (dd, cat, whatever), now try
> to read from /dev/hda. This (according to this thread) should be damn slow
> and you will have a very hard time to use this system while it is trying to
> read the CD.

This has not been my experience. Reading from hda continues to
work as expected. But the process reading from hdc stays stuck
in D state for a _long_ time.... A kill -9 takes like 10 minutes
before it gets around to actually killing anything.

> 2)
> Two drives, each on a seperate cable and on different chipsets:
> /dev/hda (hard drive) (chipset1)
> /dev/hde (cd-rom) (chipset2)
>
> Put broken CD into /dev/hde, read it again, and try to read from /dev/hda.
> All should be good, with blue skies, and a responsive system.

Sure. Same as above.

> Also, can someone say for sure (Andre) that this is a hardware limitation,
> not a Linux IDE locking problem, and with no possibility of a software
> work-around?

There is a certain amount of delay when a drive hits a bad
sector. But Linux handles things pretty badly IMHO, and could
do a much better job.

 -Erik