Re: [HELP] cpu timings

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 05:23:11 EST

you shouldn't have to make changes in the kernel in order to successfully
overclock a machine.

that said you're no likely to get much sympathy on this list for
trouble-shooting a problem resulting from overclocking.

the supermicro p6dlh is a 440lx based mainboard and was never desgined to
run faster than 66mhz at all, the fsb speed you have set would result in
among other things 42mhz pci bus on a board that 9 pci slots(5 primary 4
bridged secondary)! The fact thatit worked at all for anyone ever is
kinda impressive, but I wouldn't let that disuade you from returning it to
normal(assuming that possible) before trying to use it.

joelja

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Dennis Stout wrote:

> I inherited a workstation, that recieved hardware modifications to work
> better.
>
> It is a SuperMicro P6DLH motherbaord with dual Ppro 400's, and hte
> modifications were making the front side bus 86.7MHz instead of 66, which
> overclocked the processors of course.. And widened the PCI bus as well.
>
> The guy who built it told me he had to reprogram the kernel timings for the
> processors in order for it to work.
>
> When I inherited it, he wiped the drives clean and told me how to get a
> stock kernel to work. Unfortunately, the fix I got makes it so only one
> processor works and a stock kernel will explode if both processors are
> enabled..
>
> How does one go about reprogramming the timings in a kernel? And if anyone
> has a clue as to what the heck he did inside this bohemoth, please tell me
> :P
>
> I'm a moderately good technician, but DAMN.
>
> Thanks in advance, nobody else on any other mailing lists I've tried so far
> have a clue as to what I'm even asking...
>
> Dennis Stout
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but