BT930 + old scsi disk

From: Roeland Th. Jansen (scsi@grobbebol.xs4all.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 07:56:55 EST

hi *

I have a BT930 controller; works fine for all scsi disks I have ..
except one..

there is one disk that for the second time has killed the system.

First time I was not at the system when it happened. This time I was.

I heard the following sound (yep, technical ahum) :

click
downspin....
click
upspin......

it was maybe only 3 seconds. but the system froze completely; numlock
leds etc were ok, but magic sysrq didn't work (??)

also, no way I could remotely log onto the system anymore.

At this point, as it's a datadisk, I have taken it off the scsi bus to
prevent further bad things to happen.

unfortunately, there was nothing regarding the scsi controller or disk
in the log.

any ideas what I could do to help preventing this ? (seems somewhere a
bug in the kernel/bt930 ?)

Roeland