Re: ACPI in 2.5 kills kbd on Via-ACPI systems [Re: kernel 2.5.10 problems]

From: Dominik Brodowski (devel@brodo.de)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 17:15:39 EST

On Saturday, 27. April 2002 22:14, tomas szepe wrote:
> > 2. When ACPI support is installed the kernel gives a "Keyboard not found"
> > error when booting and I have to push the reset switch to reboot. This
> > problem has also been mentioned before but I don't think anyone has
> > related it to the ACPI support.
>
> You're right! I tried to point out before that my system had ignored the
> keyboard since about the time of 2.5.7/2.5.8, but it didn't occur to me
> that the problem could be ACPI related. Indeed, after compiling 2.5.10-dj1
> (2.5.10 vanilla barfs an oops at me upon boot) w/ ACPI support turned off,
> I found the system perfectly responsive again -- both mouse and keyboard
> work.
>
> Thus I dare assume it's highly probable that input support has been broken
> for VIA chipset-based systems by the recent ACPI changes in 2.5.x.

Actually it is ACPI PCI-IRQ routing which has been broken since 2.5.8-pre3;
the next acpi-release ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/ ) will include
updates for that feature. For the time being, you might try one of my
patches:

x v.9 or v.12 [for acpi-20020404(*)] of my ACPI-PIC-pci-irq
rewrite, which is available at
http://www.brodo.de/english/pub/acpi/pci_irq/

or

x "Do not use IRQ 1" at
http://www.brodo.de/english/pub/acpi/20020404/bugfixes.html

Dominik

(*) acpi-20020404 got merged into 2.5.8-pre3