Hyperthreading and physical/logical CPU identification

From: Andrew Theurer (habanero@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 13:31:53 EST

Hello all,

I would like to know if there is any way to confirm that I have
hyperthreading enabled, and my P4 CPUs are hyperthreaded. Actually, from
something like /proc/cpuinfo, I'd like to figure out if I am seeing 2/4
physical/logical processors, as a result from hyperthreading, or 4/4
physical/logical processors with no hyperthreading. I know, "If it's double
the number of physical processors, well you have hyperthreading enabled."
The problem is, I have 4 physical processors, but kernel.org kernels so far
do not recognize all of them. 2.4.18 will find 3, while 2.5.11 will find
only 2 (BIOS hyperthreading support off, no acpismp=force). However, on
2.5.11, if I enable hyperthreading (thru BIOS and acpismp=force, I see 4
processors.

I would very much like to believe that in this configuration, I am only
running on 2 physical, 4 logical processors, but I am getting a 31%
improvement (netbench) when hyperthreading is enabled. Thats why I want to
confirm I am really only using 2 physical, 4 logical processors. Is there
any way I can do this? (dmesg? /proc/cpuinfo?)

Thanks

Andrew Theurer