Re: devfs: BKL *not* taken while opening devices

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 07:45:57 EST

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:21:34PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I'm not convinced of that. It's not nearly a critical path and it's
> better to get even the "dumb" drivers safe than to risk having big
> security holes in there for years to come.

Would it be worth dropping a BUG_ON(!kernel_locked()) in tty_open() to
catch this type of error? The tty code heavily relies on the BKL.

This way, such locking problems would get caught early, since everyone
uses the tty code during boot, right?

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux