Re: [prepatch] address_space-based writeback

From: john slee (indigoid@higherplane.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 08:15:23 EST

[ cc list trimmed ]

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:19:17PM -0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> Why do we have to stich to concept of inode *numbers*?
> Because there are inode numbers in traditional Unix filesystems?

probably because there is software out there relying on them being
numbers and being able to do 'if(inum_a == inum_b) { same_file(); }'
as appropriate. i can't think of a use for such a construct other than
preserving hardlinks in archives (does tar do this?) but i'm sure there
are others

like much of unix it's been there forever and has become such a natural
concept in people's heads that to change it now seems unthinkable.

much like the missing e in creat().

j.

--
R N G G   "Well, there it goes again... And we just sit
 I G G G   here without opposable thumbs." -- gary larson