module choices affecting base kernel size???

From: Tom Oehser (tom@toms.net)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 09:49:41 EST

Changing all =m to =n in my config makes a 4K difference in the kernel size.

But, the kernel compiled with them off still seems to load the modules fine.

Why is there such a size difference in the static part and what do I risk if
I mix a kernel compiled with the modules off with said modules? What stuff
is actually being compiled into the static part because of the modules I
choose? Doesn't it defeat the point of modules to have dependencies or even
effects on the static part caused by the choice of module compilation?

-Tom