Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjanv@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 10:21:58 EST

Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Uz.ytkownik Alan Cox napisa?:
> >>
> >>How many years was it that I was telling that symbol versioning is
> >>a silly concept not solving any single problem and the implementation is to say
> >>the least ugly?
> >

> > Modversions solves a huge number of problems very very well. The fact that
> > you don't like it doesn't change the reality of the situation.
>
> Could you name *ONE* please? Maybe the following?

It fixes the problem where support people and people who get the
bugreports have
to stare at "impossible" problems for hours and hours to find out that
someone
has insmod'ed a module for a different kernel (be it an athlon module in
a i686 kernel
or someone using perl to replace the built-in kernel version in the .o
file)