RE: Controlling the serial port at kernel level

From: Ed Vance (EdV@macrolink.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 13:31:45 EST

On Thu, May 02, 2002, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > On Thu, 2 May 2002, antonelloderosa@inwind.it wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > I would find the way of controlling the serial port at kernel
> > level; more precisely I want to set the DTR or RTS pin of the serial
> > port whenever my host send or receive an udp packet.
> >
> [ ... ]
>
> If this is just a hack and you don't care if it screws up
> somebody else using the UART, just....
>
> #define BASE 0x3f8 // For first UART
> #define MCR 0x3fc
> #define DTR 0x01
> #define RTS 0x02
>
> ... read/write directly to the MCR port, saving the bits you don't
> want to change... You use the outb(value, port); and inb(port);
> instructions for ports.

Since you are using a built-in serial port, Dick Johnson's suggested
method is, by far, the best return on your effort. The entry points
in serial.c, rs_ioctl or set_modem_info, are "static" and would also
require you to synthesize a tty "info" structure. Anything more
than the quick hack would best be done by looking up the driver's
port structure and calling rs_ioctl through the standard interface.
That would be much more effort to get right.

See function "set_modem_info" in drivers/char/serial.c for an example
of setting the MCR. You should write and use a shell script that opens
the port, turns off CREAD (to avoid echo writes), turns off HUPCL (to
avoid disconnect related MCR writes), and holds the port open but
leaves it idle.

For example, something like:
        (stty -cread -hupcl; sleep 99999d) < /dev/ttyS0 &

That will get the UART initialized and held in an
operational state while you program the MCR register from inside
the kernel to change the modem signal states. If you are sure that
there will be _NO_ other use of the port, then it will not be
necessary to turn off interrupts while changing the MCR. (That's what
the "save_flags(flags); cli();" and "restore_flags(flags);" lines of
code do.)

Keep in mind that this is a brute force solution ...

Good luck.