Re: 2.5.12 severe ext3 filesystem corruption warning!

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 14:34:23 EST

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
> A few things..

[snip]

Andrew, judging by the filenames he'd mentioned, I suspect that he runs
innd. I.e. one of the very few programs heavily using truncate(). And
no, it doesn't promise anything good - last time we had crap in truncate/mmap
interaction it was a hell to fix.

I suspect that you had screwed the truncate exclusion warranties up. If
_any_ IO happens in the area currently manipulated by ->truncate() - you
are screwed and results would look pretty much like the things mentioned
in bug report.