Linux 2.4 as a router, when is it appropriate?

From: Russell Leighton (russ@elegant-software.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 08:25:12 EST

Could someone please tell me (or refer me to docs) on when
using the Linux on PC hardware as a router is an appropriate
solution and when one should consider a "real" router (e.g., Cisco)?

I have heard that performance wise, if you have a fast CPU,
much memory and good NICs that Linux can be as good
all but the high end routers. Are there important missing
features or realiability issues that make using Linux not
suitable for "enterprise" use?

Thanks.

Russ