2.4.18+O(1) tcp timewait zombies

From: Jason Baietto (jason.baietto@ccur.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 09:53:57 EST

Hi all,

After upgrading from stock 2.4.17 to 2.4.18 (with O(1) scheduler
patch) I'm seeing some strange networking behavior. Basically,
upon exit rsh connections seem to go into TIME_WAIT, count down
to zero, and then stick around forever. For example:

   compy$ rsh hyena echo hello < /dev/null
   hello
   compy$

This leaves a socket connnection in TIME_WAIT state:

   tcp ... TIME_WAIT timewait (51.75/0/0)

However, the strange thing is that after the connection times
out, it sticks around. I've got hundreds of these connections
open that look like this:

   tcp ... TIME_WAIT timewait (0.00/0/0)

And never seem to go away. Eventually, this causes me to
get this message whenever I try to do an new rsh:

   socket: All ports in use

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to debug this?

Take care,
Jason

--
Jason Baietto