Re: Virtual address space exhaustion (was Discontigmem virt_to_page() )

From: Martin J. Bligh (Martin.Bligh@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 17:35:52 EST

> No. It's not stupid. Unix defines a kind of operating system that
> has certain characteristics and/or attributes. Process/kernel shared
> address space is one of them. It's a name that has historical
> signifigance.

Yes it is stupid. This is a small implementation detail, and has no
real importance whatsoever. People have done this in the past
(Dynix/PTX did it) will do so in the future. Nor does the kernel
address space have to be global and shared across all tasks
as stated earlier in this thread. What makes it Unix is the interface
it presents to the world, and how it behaves, not the little details
of how it's implemented inside.

M.

PS. I've been told Solaris x86 can do 4Gb for each of kernel
and user space, though I've no first hand experience with that
OS.