Re: [prepatch] address_space-based writeback

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cantab.net)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 16:50:36 EST

At 23:47 03/05/02, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>On 3 May 2002 10:49, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > Changing unix is doable _if_ you can show a significant benefit.
> > The more utilities you want to break, the more benefit you need to show.
> > I don't think you can send the inode to the land of
> > "8-char limited passwords" by pushing "simpler management of fstabs"
> > though.
>
>I'm afraid I can't present benefits big enough.
>
>I was thinking of fs driver (NFS,reiser,NTFS,FAT,...) developers'
>pain, not about my /etc/fstab editing.

NTFS has native inode numbers which are persistent across reboot so this is
a non-issue. The only thing is that inode numbers on ntfs are 64 bit and
not 32 bit but that is much a user space issue as a kernel issue...

Best regards,

         Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown