I have tried to implement the "initramfs buffer spec -- third draft" by hpa
and Al Viro.
It isn't complete yet, because off the following unresolved topics:
1. For the moment it only supports files,dirs and symlinks.
2. It still needs the "RAM disk" and "initrd" support compiled in the Kernel.
3. I haven't tried to support hardlinks.
4. Since i use the ramdisk for decompression the cpio image must be a
multiple of BLOCK_SIZE bytes.
5. The cpio crc field is ignored.
I have done this only for testing if the "initramfs buffer spec -- third
draft" suffers all requirements. And to give a starting point for
implementing this. The patch works for linux 2.5.9 - 2.5.13.
The only problem i found is that after a "TRAILER!!!" cpio (per default)
align on a 512 bytes boundary, not 4 bytes.
I also have an idea about the "mounting the real root over the ramfs root"
thing, is it/could it be possible to mark an filesystem as "unmount on
closing the last used file", similary to how autofs does it ?
This could also be usefull for removal media.
(don't blame me if this is stupid, i'm only a human).
cu, Christian Koenig. (and sorry for my poor English)
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue May 07 2002 - 22:00:22 EST