Re: Problems with 2.5.14 PCI reorg and non-PCI architectures

From: James Bottomley (James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 08:00:28 EST

greg@kroah.com said:
> arch/i386/pci/dma.c now only contains pci_alloc_consistent() and
> pci_free_consistent(). What kind of configuration are you using that
> works without CONFIG_PCI and yet calls those functions? Is it a
> ISA_PNP type configuration? Do you have a .config that this fails on?

The problem is that this is not necessarily PCI related on other platforms.

My cross platform SCSI driver, 53c700.c, uses pci_alloc_consistent because it
has to work on parisc archs as well (which do have consistent memory even
though a few of them don't have PCI busses). It was failing a test compile.
I can manipulate the #ifdefs so that it doesn't use the consistent allocation
functions on x86, but I think, in principle, cross platform drivers should be
able to use these functions.

> I'd be glad to move it back, but I'd like to understand who is using
> those functions outside of the pci and isa_pnp drivers.

Yes, please. If you look at a lot of the non-x86 arch drivers, some of them
also use pci_alloc_consistent. I think the only other x86 example I can come
up with is aic7xxx_old which also supports the 7770 chip which is used for
SCSI in the intel xpress motherboard (pure EISA).

James