Re: Tcp/ip offload card driver

From: Nicholas Harring (nharring@hostway.net)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 10:51:06 EST

And how about when an SMP system isn't enough? Should I have to
re-engineer my network storage architecture when hardware exists that'll
increase throughput if a simple device driver gets written? Don't forget
that with 64 bit PCI that the limit of the bus has been raised, and with
impending technologies like Infiniband and Hypertransport that limit
will be raised again. At that point devoting main processor resources to
something better handled by specialty hardware really stops making
sense, if that specialty hardware is low-cost (oughta be) and effective
(still debatable).

Nicholas Harring
Hostway Corporation